I don’t usually buy books based on authors, so this was a tricky topic for me! A few authors did spring to mind immediately, though.
- Jasper Fforde. His hilarious, quirky fantasy worlds just draw you in, whether they’re YA or adult fiction.
- Cheryl Strayed. I never expected to enjoy Cheryl Strayed as much as I did, but I found her writing as Sugar to be touching and thought-provoking.
- Delia Sherman. This author’s debut middle grades novel was super fun (I did receive this one as an ARC).
- H.Y. Hanna. I’ve been receiving review copies from this author since January, and I’ve loved every single one of her books. They’re fresh, fun cozy mysteries.
- Jenny Lawson. I’ve known about the Bloggess for a while, but I never picked up her books until this year. They’re hilarious, heartbreaking, raw accounts of the crazy things that happen in Jenny Lawson’s life.
- Russell Freedman. He writes great biographies about amazing people in America’s history. Freedman’s biography of Eleanor Roosevelt started my obsession with her.
- Tana French. I know, this isn’t a unique pick. But I greatly enjoyed the two Tana French books I read this year.
- Virginia Hamilton. Her writing is filled with beautiful stories that often focus on non-white women.
- Timothy Hallihan. I love his unique characters and fun mysteries.
- Victoria Jamieson. Her book, Roller Girl, was one of the wonderful 2016 Newbery books.
What new authors made your top ten list this year?