As I’m writing this post, the school year is about to begin. I’m squeezing in as much enjoyment and relaxation as I can for the last few days of summer, but I know that my schedule is about to get crazy busy again (though hopefully not as busy as it was last spring!). With that in mind, I’m lowering my goals for posting book reviews. I’m going to attempt to write one book review or book roundup each week (although I won’t kid myself and guarantee that I’ll make time for this every single week!), with the occasional addition of a Top Ten Tuesday or small goals post. I love writing reviews here, but I don’t want to set a goal that I won’t be able to meet.
With that said, let’s take a look at how I did with my goals for July!
Study for the FTCE. Yes. I’ve done a ton of studying, and I’ve roped my husband and roommate into sharing their expertise with me to help me understand the things I’ve forgotten. I still have a ways to go, and I’m not sure when I’ll have time to study during the school year, but I will make time for it.
- Go to the beach. No on this one. I don’t know if the algae pouring from Lake Okeechobee and onto our southwest Florida beaches has made national news, but it has made our beaches actually dangerous to visit. I made do with a trip to the pool, but I’m also putting pressure on our local politicians to do something about this harmful pollution destroying our gorgeous state.
Read, read, read. Yes! I’ve finished a lot of books that have been sitting in a stack by my bed for longer than I want to admit, including the beautifully illustrated Harry Potter books. Make this year’s photo book. Check! Celebrate our fifth anniversary!Also check! We had a dinner of steak and scallops and cracked open a bottle of champagne.
So, 4.5 out of 5? I’ll take it. As we’re approaching the start of the school year, I’m going to try to keep my small goals light and manageable.
- Make breakfasts for school. I’m not a morning person, so my breakfast usually consists of a granola bar or hard boiled egg that I eat in my car. I want to make an effort to have tasty, healthy breakfasts this year (even if I continue to eat them in the car…).
- Keep doing yoga. I struggled to make time for yoga during the school year last spring, but it combines the physical and mental health workout that I really need, so I’m going to make a bigger effort to continue doing yoga this fall.
- Read one book in translation. This is part of one of my long-term reading goals, and I think one book is manageable for this month.
- Make time for fun activities. I don’t want to get into the habit of getting home from work, putting my stuff down, scarfing down dinner while watching TV, and going to sleep. That may still be the case for some evenings, but I want to make a little time during the week to do things I enjoy, rather than only allowing myself to relax on the weekends.
- Make time for household chores. This is the exact opposite of my previous goal, but I know that I feel a lot more relaxed when the counters are wiped down, the floors are vacuumed, and the kitchen is stocked with food. I’m going to do my best to take small steps every day when I get home from work to keep things neat and organized.
What I’m Into
Books I’m looking forward to reading: I’m finally getting around to finishing the Books of Bayern series. I love Shannon Hale’s writing, so I think I’ll enjoy these books.
TV shows I’ve watched: Everyone has been raving about the new Queer Eye on Netflix, and I finally got around to watching the first episode. I never watched the original, but this iteration reminds me of What Not to Wear.
Instagram account I’m loving: Rachel Callahan (of the blog Grasping for Objectivity) takes absolutely gorgeous photos of sunsets, nature hikes, and Birmingham.
Links I like: This chef who fed the Civil Rights movement is inspiring.
I love unusual libraries! This man packs books on his burros and takes them to rural areas in Colombia.
My favorite Instagram:
I loved how this photo turned out!
If you’d like to follow me on Instagram (I post lots of book pictures and the occasional selfie), you can do so here.
What are you all up to this month? Let me know in the comments!