Today’s ABEA topic is about surviving fictional worlds. As someone who reads a lot of dystopian fiction, I know of plenty of worlds I would never want to visit! Here’s my quick list of worlds I don’t think I could survive.
- Hunger Games. Because obviously.
- Life After Life. Having to live my life over and over again until I got it right? Sounds good in theory, but I don’t think I’d enjoy that in practice.
- Divergent. Yeah, nope. I would probably die in training.
- The Age of Miracles. I loved this fascinating book, but I would never want to live in a world in which the earth actually stopped turning.
- The Martian. Being stranded alone in space is pretty much my second worst nightmare (the first one being drowning in a Titanic-esque wreck).
- Dune. Desert planet, giant worms, and political drama? No thank you.
On the other hand, there are a few fictional worlds (even some dystopian ones!) that I think I might be okay with living in. Here’s that list.
- Sharon Creech. Creech’s worlds are down home countryside and slightly magical. Love, love, love them.
- Lunar Chronicles. This is one dystopian world I think I could actually survive. Especially if I can hang out with Cinder, Cress, and the rest of the gang.
- Bee and Puppycat. I never got around to posting a review of this awesome, adorable comic that I got for Christmas, but it is amazing. I would love to go on crazy adventures with Bee and Puppycat and then hang out and eat chips with them afterward.
- Jackaby. These paranormal YA mysteries, a cross between Sherlock and Doctor Who, really make me smile. I want to investigate paranormal creatures with a possibly crazy detective.
- Ready Player One. Another dystopian world that I think I could survive (although I wouldn’t necessarily want to go there if I had the choice). Sure, I’m no good at video games right now, but if that was my only escape from a desperately poor neighborhood, I would probably get better.
- The Girl from Everywhere. Time traveling ship with mythical enhancements and fascinating (and attractive) shipmates? Sign me up!
What worlds would you want to live in? Or which ones would you rather stay far away from?